The Z-Box is a particle separation device to determine the physical effectiveness factor (pef) of a forage or TMR using an “as fed” sample on farm. In conjunction with the sample NDF, peNDF can be determined through the equation pef x NDF = peNDF.
peNDF is an important means for monitoring effective fiber in dairy rations to ensure rumen health. Traditionally pef has been determined by sieving a dry sample with vertical motion using a Tyler RoTap shaker device.
The Z-Box particle separator was developed in cooperation with ZEN-NOH, Japan’s National Federation of Agricultural Co-operative Associations.
$250.00 (US funds)
- 1 Z-Box particle box separator
- 1 3.18 mm stainless steel screen for CS and TMR’s
- 1 4.76 mm stainless steel screen for HCS
Accessories needed, but not included:
- Container for mixing sample
- Electronic scale capable of weighing XXXXX
- Ruler for quad ranting sample
- 1 cup measuring cup or similar 1 cup measure
- 1” paintbrush to clean Z-Box